The Houston First Corporation (HFC) Summer Internship Program is designed for college level students who will have the opportunity to work in one of the company’s numerous business segments. The summer program lasts approximately eight weeks and combines paid employment with a comprehensive Education & Enrichment series including in-depth orientation with company executives, Lunch & Learns facilitated by staff or guest speakers, and business meetings. Additionally, interns receive opportunities to participate in tours of HFC facilities, Toastmaster workshops, on-air marketing promotions, networking events, and group outings organized by the Intern Coordinator.
The 2019 program will run from June to the beginning of August. This is a paid internship, however, interns are responsible for their own travel, housing, food, and personal expenses.
- Must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate Associate or Bachelor degree program, or a graduate level student working on a Masters or Doctorate degree. Recent college graduates are also eligible.
- Students must be able to work throughout the 8-week program dates.
- Selected candidates are required to successfully pass a background check and drug screening.
Applications are accepted through March 31, or until all positions are filled. The application packet must include the following:
- RESUME. Please submit a resume that accurately reflects your work experience (paid and unpaid, including volunteer work) and any school or community activities that you would like us to know about. Include the name of all organizations, the title of your position, and the dates of participation.
- COVER LETTER. The letter should state why you want to be a HFC intern, how your classes and experiences have prepared you for the internship, what you hope to gain from the experience, and the preferred department or business unit where you would like to work.
The application and cover letter should be emailed to email@example.com or addressed to:
Please note, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Work alongside the Housing and Client Services Managers
- Set up and participate in site visits with Client Services Managers
- Work with Client Service Managers on convention awareness program
- Help plan and execute annual community service project
Requirements: Good Communication skills, computer proficiency, energetic, team player
- Troubleshoot and resolve hardware and software issues
- Provide technical assistance with computer hardware and software
- Resolve issues for clients via phone, in person, or electronically
- Assist IT manager with onboarding and off boarding tasks for employees
- Ensure equipment in all conference rooms is ready to use and troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Ensure inventory is up to date and catalogued correctly
Requirements: Understanding of IT Helpdesk practices with strong emphasis on customer service. Ability to move and relocate computers, printers, monitors, and network equipment. Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and meet expectations within the allotted timeframes. Ability to communicate and work together with team members and management. Professional and positive attitude.
- Create blog content for the VisitHouston.com web network
- Maintain/update PR contact list
- Assist with logistics for media FAMS (familiarization tours)
- Assist in monthly social media content calendar planning
- Monitor regional and national social media trends and sentiment
- Review website recognizing where improvements could be made
- Create media and campaign performance recaps
- Assist on-site with marketing activations every Friday
- Manage creative assets and logistics via Airtable program
- Create and present summer project
Requirements: Public Relations, Journalism, Communications, Marketing or Social Media background. Must be a strong writer and have a passion for marketing and Houston. CMS website experience a plus. Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint). Work hours can be flexible, but must be able to work every Friday.
- Program and deploy both hardwired and wireless intercom systems
- Program and deploy multichannel wireless microphone system
- Identify requirements for, and deploy hardwire microphones for both large and small scale productions
- Assist in maintaining all components of the MOT sound system
- Perform backstage and on stage audio tasks (set changes, practicals, microphone swaps, cable paging, etc.)
- Assist monitor and front-of-house engineers with console programming and mixing needs
- Be available for all MOT productions for the entire duration of the internship
- Work hours will be determined by the needs of production and will include nights and weekends.
Requirements: College student preferably majoring in Theater, Theatrical Production, Audio Engineering, or other relevant field. Flexible schedule with the ability to work varied hours, including evenings & weekends.
The electrics intern will assist the Electrics Department with show preparation, hanging, circuiting, focusing lights, operating the lighting console and video projection software, and equipment maintenance. The ideal candidate will have experience with Mac and PC operating systems and software, basic computer networking skills, trouble-shooting problems, programming lighting consoles, repairing lighting fixtures, and a basic understanding of lighting design. Work hours will be determined by the needs of production and include nights & weekends.
Requirements: College student preferably majoring in Theater, Theatrical Production, Lighting Design, or other relevant field. Flexible schedule with the ability to work varied hours, including evenings & weekends.
The position will permit students to gain a unique perspective and hands-on experience with hospitality and tourism commerce and marketing. Interns will be exposed to all areas of the department's operations by participating in daily activities and providing vital assistance to staff members. The intern will also have an opportunity to complete a special project independently. These projects are chosen by consideration of both the student's interests and the needs of the department; often they involve research, surveys, event planning, and writing. Projects may include:
- Content Creation
- Presentation Creation
- Support of Houston Experience Marketplace
- Data and report compilation
- Attending staff meetings
- Other duties as assigned by the Sr. VP of Tourism and other staff members
Requirements: At least two years of college experience. Knowledge of a foreign language is a plus. Strong writing skills are important, and computer proficiency is expected. The time commitment required is a minimum of 20 hours per week. Due to the nature of our work, interns must be responsible, poised, and mature.
- Research – Conducting phone interviews; creating and administering surveys; online research to benchmark events and create a database of marketing programs and campaigns, price points, speakers, and panels of other events.
- Sponsorship Fulfillment – Creating sponsor recap reports of completed events to present to clients
- Event Budget Support – Utilizing Quickbooks to input event details to help create event P&L
- Event Support – Providing logistical support for events by creating Banquet Event Orders (BEOs) and submitting vendor orders prior to events; greeting guests and providing support at the events; and doing post event follow ups with vendors and teams
- Develop and/or update contact lists for key programs and initiatives, including online and phone research work, as appropriate.
Requirements: The candidate should have an interest in event marketing – developing strategy; creating marketing plans; designing events with specific corporate goals; sponsorships and event implementation. Intermediate skill level with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and the ability to learn/use software tools such as Salesforce and Quickbooks.
Intern will work within the Procurement department, a division of Finance & Accounting. Assist purchasing team with requests for Purchase Orders (PO), bids, new vendor registrations, etc. Create and organize new binder files for Request for Proposals (RFP). Filing of vendor W-9's, Certificate of Insurance (COI) and Purchase orders. Assist in office supplies inventory, ordering and distributing. Other duties as required.
Requirements: Bilingual a plus. Good with PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel and Microsoft Word. Basic knowledge of Microsoft AX Dynamics system also a plus.